- Plot, Point of View, and Allusions are on this week’s menu!
- We’ve also been learning about various literary devices!
- We will continue reading The Breadwinner this week and be tested on reading comprehension for chapters 1-3.
- We will compare characters in The Breadwinner with real kids from the following book:
- A second common formative assessment will be given to students on Friday.
- Many students are not logging minutes on Whooo’s Reading, nor are they taking the required quizzes. Remember that these count 20% of final grade, and time is given in class to log minutes and take the test (although it is preferred that these are completed at home).
Literary devices add interest to what we read!
Focus Standards This Week
6.RL.KID.1 – Analyze what a text says explicitly and draw logical inferences; cite textual evidence to support conclusions.
6.RL.KID.2 – Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text; provide an objective summary.
6.RL.KID.3 – Describe how the plot of a story or drama unfolds, as well as how the characters respond or change as the plot moves toward a resolution.
6.RL.CS.4 – Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including allusions to other texts.
6.RL.CS.5 – Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fit together to provide the overall structure of particular texts.
6.RL.CS.6 – Explain how an author establishes and conveys the point of view of the narrator or speaker in a text.
6.RL.IKI.9 – Compare and contrast texts in different forms or genres in terms of their approaches to similar themes and topics.
6.W.TTP.3 – Write narratives (fiction and non-fiction) to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective techniques, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences. (includes a – g).